Saturday, March 22, 2008

Voltes V (the end song, "Looking for Father")



22 March 2008
Saturday

This cartoon brings back old memories so close to my heart. The song's message, even the context involving three brothers and their father smacks straight at home.

Here are the lyrics both in Japanese and English:

Chichi wo motomete (Looking for Father)

Oya ni hagureta
hinadori mo
Itsuka wa yasashii
hutokoro ni
Kaeru ashita mo aru darou
Danoni naze meguri aenu
chichi no kage

Naku mono ka
Boku wa otoko da
Shinjiteru shinjiteru
Sono hi no koto wo
Kono te de chichi wo
Daki shimeru hi no koto wo

English translation:

Even a chick that got lost
from its parents
has a tomorrow
to return someday
to the tender breast again
But why couldn't I find
my father's figure?

I won't cry
I'm a man
I believe, I believe
in the day
I will hold
my father in my arms.



Back in 1979, there were only three of us (ages 9, 8, and 3). I was Steve, Jing would be Big Bert, and Jay would be Little Jon. Our youngest, Jojo, wasn't born yet at that time. Dad has been away for a very long time, and yes, he was in Japan for both work and further studies in the field of Geothermal Energy.

Anyway, every time I watch and listen to this song, I can't help but quietly shed a tear, reminiscing of those times when we missed Dad really bad and wished he was home soon. When he finally arrived he gave us one of the best "material" presents we ever got --- an original die-cast complete set of Voltes V.


No comments: