Saturday, March 22, 2008

80's Music: A Toast to the Blokes from Liverpool

22 March 2008
Saturday

No, I'm not referring to the most famous Fab Four. After all, they are more of the 60's and 70's.

I'm talking about the laddies from the old English county of Merseyside, particularly those from the '80's. There is something about Liverpool that produces a significant number of great musicians during the New Romantics era, more popularly known in the Philippines as New Wave. I suppose coming from an area noted for its poets and great poetry, I guess you can say that these artists are a step ahead of the others. Too bad I can't say the same of today's pop culture and stupid rap music --- I have yet to appreciate that kind of noise.

What comes to mind are the following bands:

1. The Wild Swans
2. The Care (not the Cure)
3. China Crisis
4. Echo and the Bunnymen
5. Flock of Seagulls
6. Icicle Works
7. Lightning Seeds
8. Lotus Eaters
9. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD)
10. The Pale Fountains

Take a ride with me down memory lane for those of you who are children of the '80's as I post later some of my favorite songs from a number of my fave bands.

No comments: